Follow me....I'll Follow you!!!

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow Day....1...2...3..4..and 5!

Since living in the south we don't see a lot of snow. We maybe get about an inch or two once a winter, and sometimes none at all. I know a lot of people up north laugh at us when snow is anywhere predicted in Georgia. Everyone runs and cleans the grocery store out to prepair to be snowed in for about 2 weeks. Actually it's kind of funny! We had heard about getting a couple of inches of snow last weekend, and sure enough the Saturday before the grocery stores where packed full of people and the shelves were cleaned out. We were at the store kind of late, and Christian started asking why all the food was gone. I preceded to say, "people freak out when they hear snow and come clean out the store!" I hadn't been to the store in two weeks, so snow or no snow we needed food. I honestly didn't think that the snow was going to come, and even if it did we would not get anywhere near what was predicted.

The snow was supposed to start Sunday night and fall through out until Monday morning. By 9 o'clock and not a single snow flake, I put the kids in bed and started gathering things for Monday morning. Christian said "it's going to snow mommy, I'm not going to school tomorrow." I replied by saying "it hasn't started yet, and I don't think so. Go to bed you have school." I finished up what I needed to and headed to bed about 10...and still....NO SNOW. I remember laughing about how the weather guys got it all wrong this time.

Well, about 2ish Monday morning the wind was blowing hard and it woke me up. I laid there a little while thinking I bet it hasn't even snowed. I got up out of bed and looked and the window and about fell down. Not only did it snow....but it was a lot!! I made sure the alarm was still set for 6, so I could check for school closings. Sure enough...school was canceled. When the schools are canceled the day care is also closed, so I knew I would be calling out to stay with the kids. I called out weather line and work and we were closed! Work has never not opened because of weather....this was a first.

The boys were up about 7:30 and Christian ran in waking me up by yelling "I told you so!!" Ha, famous last words! Now that the sun was out I was able to see how much snow we got and we got about 6-7 inches!! CRAZY!!

We had a blast playing in the snow, until it started raining, and freezing rain at that. It was coming down frozen and it kind of hurt. After a while there was a sheet of ice starting to form over all the snow. By dinner time we had 6-7 inches of snow and another 1/2 inch of ice on top of that.

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

Now, I don't remember a time where the whole city shut down. No one went to work, no one was driving. Everyone was stuck in there houses. The week was by far one of the craziest weeks I can ever remember. School was canceled the whole week. My work was closed until Thursday. No USPS, No UPS, No FEDEX...nothing. We couldn't even attempt to get out of our drive way until Wednesday night. Even when we did we spent the next 2 days at my parents because the roads were horrible. It definitely was a week to remember.

3 snowmen were made, we made our very own snow cream. Watch lots of movies, ate tons of food, (good thing we went grocery shopping!) and I was even able to read a book! I learned that we don't own a shovel, but a heavy duty rack, a broom and a lot of upper body can break through the ice. Especially if you are determined to get out of your drive way. Thursday I went into work and my dad stayed with the boys. My parents back yard has a hill in the backyard, and since there was ice on top of the snow they was a lot of sliding. You don't even need a sled, just your body in the position of a penguin. It was so funny to watch the boys having a blast!
 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

It was a nice relaxing week, but I am sure glad to get back to normal!!