Follow me....I'll Follow you!!!

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Ode to the paci….

I know Colin is almost 3 and should have been broken of the paci a long ago, but whatever. Christian took a paci and when we took it away from him it was super easy. He didn’t mind, and just went about his days and never asked for it. Colin on the other hand, I knew would be a little more difficult. Colin’s paci and blanket both have become a permanent fixture to him. I knew I needed to start slow. About 6 months’ ago (or longer) he was not allowed to take the paci to daycare. He did great! He played without it and even took naps without it, stage 1=complete. Now I had to get him used to not having it from the time we got home, and at bed time. However nights are rough at my house. By the time I get home, dinner complete, baths, homework, and everything in between to be in bed around 8-8:30 it’s takes everything out of me and I would rather give him a paci and lay him down for bed. Plus he’s normally out with 15 minutes.

I knew with his 3rd birthday quickly approaching I wanted it gone. Last week, Monday to be exact, we were down to one paci. The others had either gotten lost, or he chewed them since he’s having some late teeth coming trough. Well we lost it somewhere in the house. That was it, I knew this was the time to break it away from him. Monday night was horrible!! He was up until 11, and then was up 2-3 times during the night looking for it. I thought surely it would only take about 2-3 nights before it got better. Nope. Every night since then has been a challenge. Most nights it’s after 10 before he finally is out, and sometimes later. I know it’s hard, but I have to stay on top of it and not cave in. It has been so much harder with Colin than with Christian. I think it has to do with the fact that Christian wasn’t even 2 when we took it away, and Colin has had it so much longer. Which I take responsibility for that. I know it will only be a matter of time when it’s not an issue anymore, but geeze it’s been tough.

What have you found that has worked with getting your little ones to sleep without a paci? Anything that will allow him to be asleep around the same time Christian is asleep would be great!

No comments: