Follow me....I'll Follow you!!!

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Night Time Routine...

I like being on a schudule, and having the kids on one makes my life easier and honestly helps me keep my sanity. I have always set a "bed time" with Christian but for some reason I was a little more slacked with Colin. My thought process was Christian was in school and needed to get plenty of sleep and with Colin if he stayed up an hour later it would be OK, since he would take a good nap the next day. I know, wrong thinking, Since the past year of our lives have not been somewhat normal, I have let A LOT of things go that I normally would not. The main thing was letting Colin not only stay up late with me, but sleep with me. Horrible I know! To be honest 99% of the time it was just easier. Most of the time he would fall sleep in my bed and I would then take him to his room to sleep the rest of the night, however there would be those times I would just leave him because I was too tired to get up and walk to the other side of the house to put him down. I know, not mother of the year.

Since I was tackling the whole paci thing I thought I ought to just bit the bullet, and if I was going to loose about 2 weeks or so of sleep with out the paci I should just add making him sleep in his bed at the same time. Well we got rid of the paci, (post to come!) and sleeping in the bed was a little harder. I started a couple of weeks ago on a Monday and made a nightly routine. Starting at 7:00 the boys would shower, and get into their pjs. Followed by a small snack, brush teeth and then by 8:00-8:15 start heading towards bed. It was a good thing to have them in bed at 8:30. Christian was already used to this so that helped with Colin. We always tucked Christian in first. Getting in bed, covering up, many hugs an kisses and our nightly little chit-chat! Then it was Colin's turn. The first week was horrible! I usually spent at least 30-45 minutes laying on the floor next to him or on the floor next to his bed holding his hand until he would finally fall asleep. I knew no matter how hard it was I was sticking to it! The second week went a little better. I would tuck him in and lay there for about 10 minutes. I would leave and tell him I would check back in a couple of minutes. Which I did. I wanted him to know I wasn't just going to leave. There were only a few nights were he would creep out of his bed and literally sneak up on me.

Every night got a little easier, and I am proud of myself to sticking with it even when it was tough. This is a every night thing, even if it's the weekends. I know how important it is that they get a full night sleep, plus it gives me a couple of hours to catch up on things around the house I need to, email, laundry, kitchen, etc..and on occasion go to bed early my self!

Our nights are going great, and the boys were getting used to our "new" routine. However this past weekend Michael was home, I was so proud of our nights, and I knew he would be super excited that Colin was sleeping in his bed. Friday night around 7 we started our routine and by 8:30 both boys were in their bed. Christian was out with in 10-15 minutes and Colin wasn't having it at all. Daddy was home, and he was trying so had not to fall asleep. We had just a small set back and he didn't get to sleep until about 9:30. Saturday night both boys fell asleep on the floor while watching the Georgia game, and when I looked at the clock it was 8 o'clock. Funny how getting in to a routine their little bodies have adapted to it.

No comments: