Follow me....I'll Follow you!!!

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Do we have another Einstein???

I am a proud parent, what can I say???

I must say Christian is a very smart boy! I know, I might sound bias because he’s my child, but he really is. He has always had a great imagination and is very curious. He ask about a million questions a day, sometimes to the point when I ask “why do you ask so many questions” only to get a response of because I don’t know the answer. Duh, huh? Last year while he was in pre-k his teacher would always say, “he’s very smart, you can tell him to do something one time, and not only will he do it first but it will be right.” Some kids you tell them to do something and they will do it, but maybe not always right. I took that as a great complement , and keep encouraging him to keep doing great. Don’t get me wrong, he still has a lot of 5 year old boys tendencies when it comes to behavior, but what boy doesn’t? Summer came and went and it was time to start Kindergarten. I was exciting about all the new things he would be learning, but once I attended the first curriculum night I started panicking. We are known here for our great schools in Gwinnett County, and to actually see and read everything that the must accomplish by the end of the year frightened me, a lot. Christian knew his numbers, shapes, alphabet, and basic things, but being able to read 30 words in one minute, learning geometric shapes, subject-verb agreement in speech, just to name a few. Come one, I don’t remember learning that in Kindergarten, what happened to nap time, play time, snack, coloring? You really didn’t start writing until 1st if not 2ND grade. Well those day’s are gone. This past November was our first parent-teacher conference, I was a little worried about what she was going to tell me. I knew she would go over him having a hard time listening, and sometimes he thinks he doesn’t have to do what the rest of the class was doing, he would do what HE wanted to do. Which she did, but also about how much he is learning. Of course there are areas that needed a little help, but overall he was doing great. Work on counting too 100, and learning about quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies, but was showing great progress. I could not have asked for anything better. He was going to school, and for the most part, paying attention and learning! This morning I went to our second and final teacher conference, and again was a little worried about what she had to say. I was blown away!! Mainly because she said having students like Christian in her class was the main reason she became a teacher, and why she loves going to work. She called him her “Christmas student,” once they come back from Christmas break they just take off. She was so impressed about everything he does. Christian can be told something and grasp it and apply it to what he is working on, as well as apply it to other things. He is writing much better, and instead of writing sentences, which is what they are learning to do, but he is able to write a story. Not just any story but one with detail and so in-depth. So much that she says he is writing on a first grade level! What, really!?!?! What a surprise, but it could not make me any happier. She enjoys him as a student and she gets excited about things he does. She even told me that at the end of his 1st grade year, we should really consider having him tested for the FOCUS program, which is an advance class. His mind works in ways that other five years old minds don’t. His creativity and imagination is out of this world. There is a little joke that we have about him with our family, he constantly it thinking out of the box we say “he is going to be an engineer!” Which I hope he does, but hopefully by the time he gets ready to go to college UGA will have a better engineering program, because he will not go to Georgia Tech!! (Just Kidding!) What ever he does he or where ever he goes, he will do great! Michael and I are so proud of him, and are amazed by him everyday!

2 comments:

Shelli said...

I loved reading this post! Christian is so smart! You are one proud Momma!

The Goss Family said...

Sounds great! So happy he is doing wonderful! We always knew he was smart!